Hall blog

Family, Friends, Adventures, and Decor

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Here's a thought

I just love my friends. The older I get, the more people I meet, and the more I appreciate the diversity of Gods creation. I met recently a senorita from Bolivia and had such an enriching conversation. She was saying that when her mother came to America they moved all three of her children into the same bedroom. She talked about how she shared a bedroom with her sister when she was a girl and through the late night talks and the close proximity they formed a bond that still remains today. This struck me because for one I have been learning about how Americans are discouraged to co-sleep.
First of all you could roll over and smother your baby and for another co-sleeping may cause the child to be co-dependent. I find it interesting that co-sleeping is the norm in 90% of the worlds population. A study was done on children at the age of 18 revealed that children who co-slept (shared the same sleeping space or room) were no different from others in any aspect of adjustments.  With all of this said, we have some visitors coming to stay with us over thanksgiving and we are combining the boys rooms to create a spare-oom (get the Narnia reference?). But I am thinking about, depending upon those involved (kids), keeping the arrangement until they can't stand it anymore. You could call it an experiment. A life long experiment that I will not get to see the results until my children reach adulthood. How's that for intentional parenting?

2 comments:

  1. cool! interesting data. I like the my kids share rooms. They would all like their own space sometimes, but there is definitely a bond created when you are forced to live in the same space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we made the switch. Snug as two bugs in a rug.

    ReplyDelete