Hall blog

Family, Friends, Adventures, and Decor

Friday, February 11, 2011

Reading at school

Being a parent, I have noticed that
there has been a huge push on reading to children. I say it like it is something new or something. Maybe the incouragment to read to kids happened a long time ago and I didn't notice cause I wasn't looking for that sort of thing but now it is in all the parenting books. Products like "my baby can read" are coming out. (no they can't by the way) (They might memorize the words but they aren't understanding the sounds and able to tie them to new words). I decided to do my research paper on it cause I want to know more about the perks. Some are obvious but I wanted to explore some I hadn't thought of. I will post my findings here later. There is a company that my friend is associated with that donates a box of new books to a classroom as long as they get volunteers to come and read them to the class. It is so cool. It is a nice way to get parents involved and to volunteer. It isn't a financial burden to the teachers or parents. I am heading off to Pete's class now to earn them a book.
I will keep curious minds posted about my findings on the reading research.

1 comment:

  1. i used to work for a pediatrician who was very into reading to children and babies. I might be able to dig up some info for you, it's pretty fascinating.

    ReplyDelete